Sunday, 22 March 2009

Reading list

E has been surprising me the past few days in recognising more and more words. So far this week she had read: the, go, no, yes, hello, baby.

'Go' surprised me as she is quite familiar with the word 'to' but immediately knew how to pronounce 'go'. She seems to be slowly recognising certain words, she has also started guessing at words based on their first or first and second letters.

Just need to add the word 'print' to her reading list, as she has just pointed it out on the print and colour page she wants me to print out for her!

3 comments:

  1. I did this (noting the words Flopsy could read) and, now I look back, and seeing you do it, it's just like what I've done with each of them when they've learnt to talk.

    It struck me that actually, if children are immersed in a world of books, then they'll just learn to read, in much the same way they 'just learn' to talk thanks to being immersed in a world of spoken language around them.

    It'll take some children longer than others, but most will get there in much the same way as they learn to talk - knowing the odd word here and there, then knowing more words, then knowing enough words to say/read simple sentences, then just building up and up until they're a fluent speaker or reader.

    I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I did with Flopsy. I'm enjoying the process with Mopsy too...albeit being not so far along the path as E is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda if you've still got control, I think your blog may have been hacked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies for offer of goods from china - some delight has got into my email account - great ;-)

    ReplyDelete