Thursday, 4 March 2010

The weirdness of school...!

H is learning loads at the moment. She was pointing out numbers on the gearstick in the car this week, she can recognise up to 5, which is pretty fab considering I haven't sat down with her at any point and taught them to her. I remember walking E up the road testing her number recognition on door numbers in preparation for school, but she was a year older than H!

She has also learnt to write the letter 'H', which isn't H for her name apparently, its H for Harriet, her friend!

I am loving her genuine curiousity and complete incomprehension as to why one of her close friends is currently at preschool 3 times a week and is getting ready to go to school in september. 'But why?' I heard her asking her mum!! I also love the fact that she sees our home ed lifestyle as her normality, and that someone talking about school seems so alien to her. We're not the freaks - they are ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Sums up what I love about home-ed, the curiosity, the natural learning, the love of all that surrounds them...thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The longer I home Ed for, the stranger it seems to herd 30 kids the same age together all day, and even stranger still that I get asked all the time 'not at school?' as if my kids shouldn't be seen between 9 and 3 on a weekday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the last comment. I love seeing the look on peoples faces when they children reply that they don't go to school when they're asked why they're out and about. I would love to leave the conversation there but I always find myself explaining that we Home-ed, one day though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the girls to the park yesterday, and E recognised a girl she used to go to school with. Her friend introduced E to her Dad saying that she used to go to school but doesn't anymore. Her Dad said don't be silly she must go to school somewhere, E and her friend happily told him that no, she doesnt! I stayed out of it...!!

    ReplyDelete